- Our Purpose
- Facts and Figures
- Company History
- Carlson Credo
- Board of Directors
- Management Team
- Company Structure
- Media Inquiries
- Media Contacts
- Media Accommodations
- Image Library
- Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group Newsroom
Carlson Restaurants Worldwide Partners with ABN AMRO Capital to Acquire 45 T.G.I. Friday's Restaurants from Whitbread for $137.8 Million
Dallas | January 17, 2007
Carlson Restaurants Worldwide, the global leader in casual dining, and London-based ABN AMRO Capital have partnered to acquire 45 T.G.I. Friday's® restaurants in the UK from Whitbread PLC (Whitbread). The addition of these restaurants to the Carlson Restaurants Worldwide portfolio will make the UK market the largest market outside of the US in which Carlson Restaurants Worldwide will have ownership. Carlson Restaurants Worldwide currently owns, operates and franchises more than 980 restaurants in 58 countries, including 700 in the US.
According to Richard Snead, president and CEO of Carlson Restaurants Worldwide, ABN AMRO Capital will take a majority stake in the business with 60% ownership, and Carlson Restaurants Worldwide will own the remaining stake of 40%.
"We are pleased to have secured ABN AMRO Capital's backing and look forward to a successful partnership," said Snead. "For the past 41 years Friday's has been a place where people can enjoy outstanding menu items, innovative beverages and a great experience, and we look forward to building on this terrific heritage in the UK. This is a very exciting time for T.G.I. Friday's in the UK -- it is a new day at Friday's!"
The first T.G.I. Friday's restaurant debuted in the UK in 1986 with the opening of the Birmingham, England restaurant.
Due to customary approvals, the deal is expected to finalize in early March.
Note to Editor: Carlson Restaurants Worldwide, parent company of TGI Friday's Inc., is a privately held company owned by Minneapolis-based Carlson, a world leader in the hospitality, travel and marketing industries. As of December 2006, Carlson Restaurants Worldwide owns, operates and franchises more than 980 restaurants in 58 countries including T.G.I. Friday's, Friday's Front Row® Sports Grill, Friday's American Bar® and Pick Up Stix®.
ABN AMRO. Netherlands-based ABN AMRO is a leading international bank with total assets of EUR 999 bln (as at 30 September 2006). It has over 4,500 branches in more than 53 countries and territories, and has a staff of more than 110,000 full-time equivalents worldwide. ABN AMRO is listed on Euronext and the New York Stock Exchange.
ABN AMRO Capital. This is ABN AMRO Capital's first investment of 2007. In 2006, ABN AMRO Capital completed nine European buyouts with an aggregate deal value of EUR 1.3 bn and realised seven exits. ABN AMRO Capital is the global private equity business of ABN AMRO, with teams operating in seven countries worldwide (the Netherlands, UK, France, Spain, Italy, Sweden and Australia). Total funds under management by ABN AMRO Capital (as at 30 September 2006) were EUR 2.8 billion, of which EUR 533 million of capital has been provided by international investors in ABN AMRO Capital managed funds in the UK, France and Australia. ABN AMRO Capital's main focus is to back management buyouts and management buy-ins of profitable, cash-generative European companies usually with a value between EUR 30 - 500 mln.